While Houston isn’t stereotypically known for its freezing winters, there are a few days each year where temperatures drop below freezing. With winter approaching, it’s very important that you audit your heating system. It only takes one uncharacteristically cold day for you to learn this lesson the hard way.
The following maintenance tips can ensure that your heating system is operating correctly so that when the time comes, your home is equipped to keep your family warm.
- Be proactive. Don’t wait until you need to turn on the heat to perform maintenance. Be proactive and take steps early so you’re not left to deal with a cold night the same way the Pilgrims did.
- Follow your nose. Be wary of the smell of rotten eggs coming from your furnace. This typically means that there is a gas leak, which can be very dangerous.
- Frequently dust and clean around your furnace. A dusty, dirty furnace covered in debris can cause your heater to operate poorly. You should also ensure that areas around the furnace are free of obstructions.
- Change the filter. The filter should be replaced every month if you run the heat frequently. If you haven’t done so in a while, change the filter.
- Consider bringing in a professional. If it’s been a long time since you’ve run the heat in your home, it might be a good idea to bring in a professional to take a look at your heating system just to be safe.
To prepare your home for winter, enjoy the following offer from Hage Energy:
Offer expires 12/21/18. Restrictions apply. Not valid with other coupons or offers. Price is per system.
Hadi Elhage – President & CEO of Hage Energy